The wine and oil route, that stretch of the Tuscan coast that goes from Bibbona to the Val di Cornia, including the Island of Elba, is famous for its natural beauty, landscape and more.
This is the land where wines like Sassicaia, one of the best in the world, are grown are produced. The Wine and Oil Route Consortium is made up of five areas: Terratico di Bibbona, Montescudaio, Bolgheri, Val di Cornia and the Island of Elba.
In this article, we propose a possible itinerary lasting two or three days, during which you can taste, get to know and fully enjoy the typical products from this coast of Tuscany.
The territory composed of hills, medieval villages and, of course, the sea and the woods offers eternally evocative views and panoramas.
- Start from Rosignano Marittimo and head towards Cecina. The road that passes through the hills is about 40 kilometres long. Stop to admire the village of Riparbella, a small hill town in the heart of Tuscany. Riparbella offers an area composed of woods, olive groves, vineyards and, on the horizon, the view disappears into the sea with a spectacular view over the islands of Elba and Capraia.
- After arriving in Cecina, take the road leading to the towns of Montescudaio, Guardistallo and Casale Marittimo. The three picturesque villages rise up between the Volterra hills and Val di Cecina. Make sure to stop, even if only for just a few hours, and walk along the streets where time seems to stand still.
- From Casale, go along the Via Bolgherese for around three kilometres. You are now a stone's throw away from the famous avenue of cypresses praised by the poet Carducci. These are the lands home to the Ornella and Sassicaia vines, which produce fine wines known throughout the world for their excellent properties.
- Allow yourself a few hours of relaxation to visit the ancient medieval village of Bolgheri- taking a photo with long rows of cypress trees is a must - and after a snack break sampling Tuscan wines and DOC cheeses, set off in the direction of Castagneto Carducci.
- You will arrive in Sassetta and then in Suvereto. This road is also excellent for cycling. Go past Sassetta and then begin the descent towards Val di Cornia. Here, after a few kilometres, you will find yourself in the small village of Suvereto.
- 9 kilometres separate Suvereto from Campiglia Marittima. Visit Campiglia, it's really worth it. The medieval village merges with nature and relaxation. Going downhill towards San Vincenzo, you will notice the San Silvestro archaeological mining park, the thermal baths and the small lake with a hot spring and breathtaking views of the Tyrrhenian Sea.
- The last stage runs along the Gulf of Baratti and ends at San Vincenzo. Walk along the Strada della Principessa, the "Road of the Princess", following the Rimigliano Park, with beaches, Mediterranean scrub and pine forest as far as the eye can see.
These are the wine and oil roads of the Tuscan coast, landscapes to be enjoyed in a few days. For those who do not have much time available, it can also be done in a single day, perhaps by skipping a few stages from the proposed itinerary. From Park Albatros Village you can alternate a day by the sea or by the pool with a day discovering these wonderful places. Park Albatros is undoubtedly the ideal starting point for visiting the beautiful villages, vineyards and countryside of this nook of Tuscany.
Have a good trip, traveler!
We suggest you these destinations
Norcenni Girasole Village has everything you need for a complete, fun-filled Tuscany holiday. Ensconced in the green Tuscan hills, just a few kilometres from the splendour of Florence...
Our holiday camp is located in an area surrounded by some of the most important archaeological sites in Tuscany, and just a stone’s throw from the crystal-clear sea...
Camping in the heart of the Renaissance, why not? Florence Camping in Town offers you an exciting and eco-friendly urban experience for your Italy holiday...
Nestled in the shade of virgin Mediterranean forest, Montescudaio Village is perfect for those looking for an open-air holiday full of fun and relaxation.